Choral conducting workshop: august 19-23, 2019
st. Laurence Anglican church, 5940 lakeview dr. sw, Calgary
Are you an active conductor interested in improving your conducting skills by attending an intense week-long course led by choral music experts? Luminous Voices, Calgary's professional choir invites active conductors and teachers to attend this inaugural workshop that will culminate in a public performance on August 23, 2019.
Timothy Shantz - Conductor/Instructor
Tim Pyper - Certified Alexander Technique Instructor
Luminous Voices - Choir (16 voices)
CONDUCTING WORKSHOP INTENSIVE COURSE OFFERS:
- Audio & Video recordings of each day and performance - shared with conductor on a daily basis
- Group and individual conducting lessons - gesture and the breath
- Opportunity to conduct a professional choir
- Listening sessions
- Vocal Technique
- Approaches to diction
- Alexander Technique
- Musical analysis
- Intense listening
- Leadership and management skills
- There will be less emphasis on rehearsal technique and more emphasis on clear verbal and non-verbal communication
WHO IS THIS WORKSHOP FOR?
- Active conductors (beginning, mid-career and professional) who are working with community and/or school groups
- Anyone interested in improving their conducting skills, with particular focus on working with singers and choirs
- Singers and instrumentalists who wish to observe and learn some basic conducting technique as it relates to choir music
OPPORTUNITIES FOR ACTIVE PARTICIPATION:
ACTIVE CONDUCTORS ($750 fee) are asked to submit an online application with a video demonstrating their conducting of an ensemble - deadline JUNE 20, 2019.
Selected applicants will be notified in the week of June 24, 2019.
AUDITORS - observers ($50 daily fee or $200 for the week).
Tuition for ACTIVE conductors of $750 includes:
- 6-7 hours of sessions per day (Conducting instruction, Alexander Technique & Rehearsals with Luminous Voices)
- 4 sessions on Alexander Technique with Timothy Pyper, certified Alexander Technique instructor and organist
- 5 group and individual sessions on conducting with Timothy Shantz, Founder & Artistic Director or Luminous Voices and accompanist
- 4 rehearsals with Luminous Voices and instructor Timothy Shantz
culminating in a performance with Luminous Voices (Friday, August 23)
- Interaction with colleagues
- Q & A with instructors
- Extra opportunity to observe a recording session with Luminous Voices (Saturday, August 24)
- Music packets for active conductors
Da Pacem Domine (2:30) (Musica Baltica) - Peter-Anthony Togni
Earth Songs or Earth Voices (5:50) - with hand drum & wind chimes (Cypress) - Peter-Anthony Togni
Of the Father’s Love Begotten (3:00) (Musica Baltica) - Peter-Anthony Togni
Requiem et Lux (8:00) (Musica Baltica) - Peter-Anthony Togni
Totus tuus (1:30) (Musica Baltica) - Peter-Anthony Togni
Psaume 98 (3:00) SATB (Musica Baltica) - Peter-Anthony Togni
Da Pacem (5:00) - Arvo Pärt
Repertoire will be finalized and sent out 4-6 weeks in advance.
For any questions and to receive the application form, contact General Manager Kristýna Rempel at firstname.lastname@example.org.